Collectors Club of Chicago
Col. Robert H. Pratt Award
Col. Robert H. Pratt
Initiated in 1997, the CCC Pratt Award is named for Col. Robert H. Pratt, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, the pre-eminent Newfoundland stamp and postal history collector, researcher, and author.
The Pratt Estate bequeathed funds to the CCC for the establishment of an annual award for the best English language article, series of articles, book, or electronic presentation related to Newfoundland’s philately.
The award consists of a one thousand dollars ($US 1,000) honorarium awarded annually in its entirety to one (or pro-rated to two or more) author(s) for articles or other publications related to the philately of Newfoundland as judged by the Pratt Award Committee as being significant and of academic merit. It is awarded in the year following the year in which the best judged Newfoundland philatelic research work was published.
CCC Pratt Award Representative Contact
All submissions to be considered for the CCC Pratt Award must be submitted to the Committee’s Chairperson. In the event of questions or communications, also please contact the Club’s representative:
George P. Fabian
CCC Pratt Awards Chairman
230 Fir St
Park Forest, IL 60466-1717
Previous CCC Pratt Awardees (1997-2018)
- 2018 – Anthony B. Thompson, of Saltsjö-Boo, Sweden, for two articles published in BNA Topics, the official publication of the British North America Philatelic Society. Titles are “Gum: The Late Newfoundland Issues Printed by Perkins Bacon, Waterlow, and Others” and “Newfoundland’s Foreign Mail – Basic Rates and Colours for the Letter, Postcard, and Printed Paper Stamps.”
- 2017 – David Piercey, of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, for “Another Late Fee Cover from Newfoundland”,Postal History Society of Canada PHSC Journal (Whole No. 168, Fall 2016 Edition), and for “The Neighbourhood and Suburban Post Offices of St. John’s, Newfoundland, 1877-1932”, B.N.A. Topics (Whole Nos. 550 and 552, 1st and 3rd Quarter 2017 Editions). Brian Stalker, of Heathfield, East Sussex, England, for ”The Powys-Keck Connection”, Maple Leaves(Whole No. 343, January 2017); and for “Newfoundland’s Hall’s Bay Railway – A Postal History”, Maple Leaves (Whole Nos. 344 and 346, April and October 2017 Editions).
- 2016 – David Piercey, of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, for “Late Letters and the Newfoundland Mails”, Postal History Society of Canada Journal, Summer-Fall 2015 (Whole Nos. 162-163) and Winter 2015-2016 (Whole Number 164) Editions; “The ‘St. John’s East’ Post Office”, British North America Topics, 1st Quarter 2016 Edition (Whole No. 546); “Early Packet Steamer Services on Placentia Bay: 1888-1900”, Maple Leaves, (April 2016).
- 2015 – David Piercey, of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, for “Newfoundland’s South Coast Mails 1892-1895”,Maple Leaves,, (July 2015); “Mail from Her Majesty’s Navy in Newfoundland: 1893-1898”,Maple Leaves, (October 2015); “The St. John’s Central Post Office”, B.N.A. Topics, (Whole No. 544); “The Montreal Steamers and the Newfoundland Mails 1885-1897”, The Canadian Philatelist, (May-June 2015); “Analyze This: Using Archival Research to Determine Postal History Significant of a Newfound Cover”, The Canadian Philatelist, (September-October 2015). John M. Walsh, of St. John’s, Newfoundland, for “1897 Newfoundland Red Overprint Surcharge: Part II”, The Canadian Philatelist, (March-April 2015); “The Discoveries Abound in Newfoundland”, The Canadian Philatelist, (May-June 2015); “Adventures of the Newfoundland 1898 Queen Victoria First Revenue Issue Document”, The Canadian Philatelist, (July-August 2015); “Newfoundland 1929 Provisional Surcharge Three Cent on 6¢ Issue of 1923”, The Canadian Philatelist, (November-December 2015).
- 2014 – James R. Taylor, of Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and Henk Slabbinck, of Nieuwport, Belgium, for Mail from the French Shore of Newfoundland (Published by the authors).
- 2013 – Anthony B. Thompson , of Saltsjö-Boo, Sweden, for “The Intaglio Printing of Newfoundland’s 1932-1941 Industrial Issue” B.N.A. Topics, (Vol. 70 No. 2, April-June 2013); Anthony B. Thompson, for “ The Intaglio Printing of the Newfoundland 1¢ ‘Pile of Cod’ Stamps”,B.N.A. Topics, (Vol. 70 No. 4, October-December 2013); Robin J. Moore, of Mount Pearl, Newfoundland and John M. Walsh, of St. John’s, Newfoundland, for “Newfoundland Inverted Halifax Airmails with Mirror Image Offsets”, The Canadian Philatelist, (Vol. 64 No. 5, September-October 2013).
- 2012 – David D. D’Alessandris, of Arlington VA, for “Mail between the United States and Newfoundland” (The Chronicle of the U.S. Classic Postal Issues, Vol. 64, No. 4 [Whole No. 236], November 2012).
- 2011 – Anthony B. Thompson, of Saltsjö-Boo, Sweden, for “Newfoundland’s Industrial Issue and the ‘Coat of Arms’ Watermark Layout” (B.N.A. Topics, 1st Quarter 2011).
- 2010 – Norris R. Dyer, of Petaluma CA, for “The Newfoundland 1888-1898 1¢ Green Prince Edward Stamp” ; Brian Stalker, of Heathfield, East Sussex, England, for “Newfoundland’s Coastal North & Labrador Mail Services and Loss of the S.S. ‘Volunteer’ on 19 November 1891” ; and Brian Stalker & Mike Street, of Ancaster, Ontario, Canada, for “Labrador Winter Mail Challenges and Heroics – Mail Courier Ernst B. Doane’s 1910-1911 Crossing of the Strait of Belle Isle” ; (all in 2010 Editions of B.N.A. Topics).
- 2009 – Peter C. Motson, of Seaton, Devon, England, for Newfoundland Airmail Stamps and Air Mail Flights: 1918-1949 (Publisher: British North America Philatelic Society / BNAPS).
- 2008 – Brian T. Stalker, of Heathfield, East Sussex, England for Travelling Post Office Postmarks of Newfoundland & Labrador (Publisher: British North America Philatelic Society / BNAPS).
- 2007 – (Pratt Award Not Presented).
- 2006 – Sammy Whaley, of Opp AL, for Newfoundland: 1865-1879. The New York Printings – A Cover Study (Published by the author).
- 2005 – Colin Lewis, of Swansea, Wales, for “Newfoundland-Oporto Mail 1810-1865” (B.N.A. Topics, 4th Quarter 2004).
- 2004 – C. R. McGuire, of Ottawa, Ontario, SS Caribou (Series), Postal History Society of Canada Journal
- 2003 – Dean Mario, of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, for “Newfoundland’s ‘FS’ Handstamps & Newfoundland’s 1919 Sudan Booklet – Bogus or Bona Fide?” (B.N.A. Topics, 3rd and 4th Quarters 2002)
- 2002 – Norris R. Dyer, of Petaluma CA Dean Mario, of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada and Sammy Whaley, of Opp AL, for “Newfoundland’s ‘Paid All’ and ‘Postage Paid’ Markings, 1897-1948”; “Newfoundland’s Provisional Postcard and Those Who Exploited it”; and “The Newfoundland ((235)) Cancel”; (B.N.A. Topics, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Quarters 2001)
- 2001 – (Pratt Award Not Presented).
- 2000 – Norris R. Dyer, of Petaluma CA and John M. Walsh, of St. John’s, Newfoundland, for: ‘ … outstanding articles published the 1999 and 2000 issues of B.N.A. Topics …’.
- 1999 – Norris R. Dyer, of Petaluma CA, for: ‘ … extensive writings on the overprints of Newfoundland and the early airmail flights from Newfoundland …’ as published in various periodicals.
- 1998 – John G. Butt and John M. Walsh, both of St. John’s, Newfoundland, for the Newfoundland Specialized Stamp Catalogue.
- 1997 – Norris R. Dyer, of Petaluma CA, for ‘Newfoundland’s 1897 1-cent Postal Shortage & Newfoundland’s ‘Missing Three’ Provisional – A Mirage’ (B.N.A. Topics, 3rd Quarters 1995 and 1996)